Monday, February 16, 2009

Humble Beginnings

Lauren and I stopped off at my parents' place on Friday and picked up a few childhood things of mine. Comics, cards - all the collectible necessities. Ebay has yet to provide an appraisal. I have fingers crossed that the demand for irreplaceable childhood memories is still strong despite the economic downturn.
Among the items salvaged was a selection of my writing through the years. I'll spare you the high school vignettes of teenage angst (which were a bit shocking, really... apparently not even I could guess the rage/insecurity that boiled within my misshapen frame). I have, however, decided to share one of my earlier pieces with you, dated 4/16/88:

"This is a story about hunting for fish. First hunting, now fish.
This is what you need:
-fishing line
-rope
-hooks
-worms
-fishing poles
-guns with bullets inside the guns - I will push the trigger then the bullet will come out of the hole then I will catch the fish - that will be a great idea! When I hit a fish with a bat, then I will catch one too."

It basically falls into the How-To category of writing, but the style, you can see, draws deeply from Hemingway. Don't be surprised if you find a revised version of this piece in my upcoming travelogue, I'm Going to Catch All the Animals, But Only the Ones that Are Mean and Dangerous - That Will Be a Great Idea! (tentative title)

No comments:

Post a Comment