Sunday, May 3, 2009

The State of Our Trailers

This is going to be a short post, but know that there are things I yet mean to discuss with you - movie reviews, inside info on the dispositions of religious leaders, and other miscellany. Such things have to wait, though. Why? Because I don't feel like it right now. Ask me again later.

I only have the energy currently to make one point: Movie trailers of late have made some excellent use of popular music. You may recall my past obsession with the trailer for 9, which used Coheed and Cambria to great effect; my favorite Watchmen trailer was set to Muse's "Take a Bow;" and now my new favorite trailer, for Terminator: Savlation, finds itself indebted to the vocals of Trent Reznor. What so delights me about these pairings is how much they make sense. Coheed and Cambria are D&D rock nerds; Muse make what can only be termed "superhero music;" and NIN has always been a soundtrack for the end of the world ("In This Twilight" being my favorite fade-to-black apocalypse track). All of which leads me to question: Whose job is it to play musical matchmaker? Because I want it.

One last thing I will get in is that I am well prepared to be blown away by a new Terminator movie. While it won't be a "reboot" per se, the franchise was desperately in need of this change in setting. In addition, the new trailer shows some Battlestar Galactica themes peeking through, the prospect of which sends my salivary glands into Pavlovian overdrive.

2 comments:

  1. oh man, I saw the trailer for Terminator and for a split second thought I might actually want to see it solely on account of the fine music placement. However, I quickly snapped to my senses and realized that unless T Rez makes an auditory "appearance" throughout the entire movie, psh, I couldn't care less.

    Anyway, to answer your question regarding musical matchmakers, these people are usually referred to as "music sups" (or in more proper terms, music supervisors) and their main job is to seek out music that fits their brand/intended audience and then initiate licensing deals with the music publishers who own the song(s). For instance, every so often FBR creates a new music sampler specifically for music sups. Our branding people then blast the sampler out to music sups across the country and try to entice them to use our songs in their movies/commercials/video games. Music licensing is incredibly lucrative these days, so I would imagine that Mr. Reznor received quite a pretty penny for the use of his song in the trailer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the latest trailer being shown right now does show more of a concept for the movie, and it does look pretty f-ing sweet!

    ReplyDelete